Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bypass the Drama

Remember that nothing has any meaning save the meaning you give it.  Repeat this quietly in your mind at any moment of stress or upset:  Nothing has any meaning save the meaning I give it.

This is a variation on the words of Shakespeare, and I first heard it put this way in A Course in Miracles.  These ten words can change your entire experience of life.  They can stop drama in its tracks.  They can cut turmoil and emotional distress in half.  Indeed, they can eliminate them altogether.

Memorize these ten words and let them be your mantra when your day seems to be falling apart - or your career, or your relationship, or anything else that you have so carefully crafted and put into place.  Remember that very often when life seems to be falling apart, it may actually be falling together for the first time.

When as a child I would become upset about things, my mother used to say to me, "How important do you think this will be when you're 90?"  That would slow me down a bit, stopping me from "spinning out" into emotional self-indulgences that did no one (least of all me) any good.

"If you think you'll be sitting in your rocking chair on the front porch at 90 worried about this, then worry about it now.  If you think you'll be upset about this then, be upset about it now.  Otherwise, just let it go."  That's what Mom would say.

I Love those words.  Let... it... go.
Let...
It...
Go...
Just breathe, and relax.

What I am saying here is not to jump into "reaction" mode at the first appearance of negative energy.  Work hard with yourself to stay in the space of "creation".  Realize that what you are seeing may be nothing more than the Law of Opposites playing its effect in the Process of Personal Creation.  Go to a place of gratitude as often as you can... and don't be afraid to use humor as a way to get there.  Self-deprecating humor, I have found, is just the ticket.  It is just, absolutely, the very best.  All I have to do to tamp down upset and unneeded drama in my life is to laugh at myself.  It's great medicine.

Happier than God
-Neale Donald Walsh

No comments:

Post a Comment